Tuesday 4 October 2016

Osloff and the Turk by Iain M Grant

Osloff and the Turk is a story that forms part of a larger work 'The People Factory'. It was sent through to me in chapbook form for review as I am a fan of the Iain Grant's other work (the Clovenhoof series with Heide Goody). The difference here is that the Clovenhoof tales are funny and at times ridiculous while 'Osloff' is in a more serious vein.

What we have here is a locked room mystery set in Saxony, 1796. An inventor has invented a chess playing automaton and while it is being tested/exhibited a murder is committed - and the only people in the room are the victim and the automaton.

The story is told in a series of letters and the style of writing reads very much of it's time, which impressed me a lot.

I'll be honest, I didn't manage to solve the mystery myself but it was a fun read trying (I do like a good murder mystery). What is no mystery is whether I will be reading the full version of 'The People Factory' - That's a resounding YES from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment