Friday 1 May 2015

And The Fox Crows by V C Linde - a review

Throughout history, as long as man has been telling tales, the fox has featured a lot. Many cultures have told stories of the crafty fox, the wily fox, the hunted fox and this poetry collection by V C Linde takes us on a journey through the ages from ancient to modern. There are some you may know (from Aesop's fables) but also many you will not, tales from Russia, Ancient Japan and Native American culture right up to the modern day where the last three poems, City Life, Operation Foxglove and The First Field show how much life has changed for the fox.

And all these are framed by Pan which breaks it up nicely. The whole thing has a lovely feel to it, bringing the adventures of the fox to life. It is a short book, coming in at just 54 pages, but for me it feels just the right length. Much more could have been 'fox overkill' but the author has judged it just right.

I will say at this point that I do not read vast amounts of poetry but I know what I like and I like this very much indeed. And The Fox Crows is a book I am happy to have on my shelf and one that I will dip into for many years to come.

5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment