Tuesday 17 September 2013

Beyond the Tempest Gate by Jeff Suwak - a review

This novella, telling the tale of The Holy Knight Gabriel and his quest to go beyond the elemental Tempest Gate to dispose of the demon Elezear really is a pleasant surprise.

The tale kicks off with Gabriel approaching the Gate by boat. The Gate was put in place by wizards after an earlier event (sorry if I seem vague here but I don't want to give spoilers). He is on a quest to rid the world of the demon Elezear, a quest that only he, as The Holy Knight, can complete.

The chapters flow well - current storyline / backstory / current storyline etc and there really is so much here that I really found it hard to believe it was only a novella (76 pages but worth every penny/cent/euro).

The world on both sides of The Gate is really well drawn as is the actual Gate itself and shows good skills for world building which promises lots for this author, as does the way he adds little twists to the characters and their motivations.

Some of the scenes later on in the story reminded me, in a way, of the films of the late Ray Harryhausen - and I do believe this story would benefit from being filmed by a quality effects studio.

So, all in all, a wonderfully told tale that will leave you wanting more from Mr.Suwak - I know I will be eagerly waiting for more from this promising young author

1 comment: